Following on from What does the core do? http://corefusionpilatesperthblog.com.au/Postureandday-daytips/core-muscles-core-strength-core-control/ its is you central base of support that allows you to move freely and in turn allows you to use your bigger global muscles at their best.
Put simply –
- – you will function more efficiently – this means that you will tire less, use optimal energy conservation and perform better.
- – in the day to day lifetsyle setting – it will allow your body to support itself, therefore being able to perform day to day activities more efficiently – so you wont get as tired as quickly, or have pain and discomfort as soon as before
- – pain will diminsh if you have pain as the back and pelvis are supported effectively and no longer “loaded” inappropriatly
- – good posture follows from a supported spine
- – sports poeple or activity wise – your times and performance will improve as you are now running your body more efiiciently – so the big movement muscles can concentrate on that alone – rather than also trying to keep you stable
- – times will improve
- – stamina will improve
- – even the elite athlete can have a weak core and I have seen a far few national and international athelets that have a poor core but are still able to perform at elite level – just think what they could achieve if they had a decent core too! –
How to get a good one!
- – unfortunately to get access to that core – you need to work specifically at “lettiing those stronger muscles “let go” first and not try and help.
- – many clients go ahead and get themselves a DVD on pilates or go to the local class and get absoloutely nothing out of it .
In order to get a better core – you need to be aware of what it is – what it does – can you get it to work or more importantly – are you getting the right muscles working or just re-using things that are already strong!
Even the most practised pilates practitioners will still need input to ensure tey do things to the best of their ability exercise wise and so as beginners levels or ust starting out you definely need to find a GOOD pilates practitioner.!!! That way you will get where you you want to be a whole lot quicker, lest frustrated and see and reap the benefits!
NEXT BLOG – How to strengthen the core – coming next week! watch this space.