What is Pilates?
That’s the question we get heaps. Most people don’t really know what it actually is.
It is NOT EASY.
We don’t sit in circle and ‘hum’ with incense burning
It will work your butt off if you do it well.
You WILL get results if you stick with it.
You do need to know what you’re doing and doing a home video just isn’t the same.
Your body will be constantly evolving and changing hence why you will need help from a great instructor to guide you and push you.
It is a system of exercise and there’s a little animated video below that goes through how it Pilates came to be…
What we should be telling you though IS WHAT PILATES DOES!
- It gives you long lean muscles – we tend to work at length or on stretch so you don’t get ‘muscle bond’ like gym work
- it makes you think and listen and work with your body – so you gain an understanding of how your body moves and why you can and cant do certain things allowing you to then work towards changing that
- it makes you move better because you lay down the right foundations
- you learn so much more about yourself and how you move
- it tones your muscles as you are working hard with smaller but precise movements aimed at targeting small areas
- it makes you work more efficiently and effectively by teaching you to ‘relax’ the muscles you don’t need and work the muscles you do need
- gives you a strong core – learn how to activate and use your core properly
- gives you more flexibility – work at stretch and start to actually MOVE
- makes you feel great – working to improve how you look and feel and having an hour or so ‘you time’ works wonders for your own ‘me time’ but also gets those endorphins going
- gives you great posture – working the deep muscles that support your body FIRST and get better posture
- gives you confidence – walking tall and upright and straight with good posture exudes confidence
- reduce your injury risk and pain – strong muscles and good flexibility protect against injury and supported joints give reduced pain
- work at your own level and push your self – add on challenges or harder versions as you’re able – there is no ceiling on where you can go or what you can achieve!
Added benefits may also include
- stress relief
- stress management
- hormone balance
- sleep improvement
So WHAT exactly IS Pilates? – this little video courtesy of Taube Pilates should explain the Method….
So focus on what you want out of your body and then relay that to your instructor and they can guide you as to what classes may best suit you.
Email email@example.com au if you want to find out how Pilates can help you