Core Fusion has been running now for 10 years! The time has just flown by, and I wanted to share with you why we opened in the first place.
I have been a physio for many years now, initially for the NHS in the UK, then overseas, before settling in Perth in Private Practise. Private Practise was a bit of a shock to be honest when I started. The concept of asking people to pay you directly for your services was alien as I had always worked for a government based system where services were ‘free’ to people that used them. Sure we may have had a long wait list for chronic complaints, but acute issues were always seen quickly.
Private practise was an eye opener.
People pay you direct for your service,and they expect results there and then. They expect good service, they expect you know what you’re talking about , and whilst I was happy doing that anyway – there is definitely a shift in dynamics, especially when you work for someone else.
I quickly realised I could do the client based things well, I can get people better, but the dynamics of private practise are a mine field.
Here’s some things I found hard to deal with that I saw happen, and heard openly talked about –
- The client needs to feel you are doing something for them – even if you massage their good leg – they need to feel you have ‘touched’ them – pertaining to if the injury is acute and you want to let it rest and strap and tape it because that’s your choice – at least do some massage somewhere else so they feel better. Management in my mind also constitutes good advise, sound knowledge of stages of healing and advise on what the client needs – not just massaging another part – our job is to educate. If they are struggling because that good leg is taking too much load that’s different – but to manage just for the sake if being seen to do something….
- The business model is to get as many contacts as we can with a client – so span your treatment and management out over 6 -8 sessions – i get it’s not great for business and income to have someone better after 3 -6 sessions, but to actively make it 8 just because you want to. Surely you will get more repeat business because clients recognise you are genuine and want to help in the relevant time frame…not drag it out
- Staged Treatment Plans – giving the required management one step at a time. So only moving them along at the next visit – drip feeding information and management when you know you have the tools to improve them at your disposal – you’re just choosing to withhold them to drag appointments out.
- Getting clients ‘just good enough” so they need to come back every month or so – never quite ‘cleared’ – knowing you have the ability to get clients far better so they many only need to see you every 3 months, but you choose not to
- I cant get them better fully, but I will not refer them to anyone else…..really – if you can’t help – let someone who can have a go
Whilst that is a small sample of the things I encountered and by no means representative across the board – it did highlight the difference that occur in private care.
That just didn’t sit well with me. I wasn’t that great working for other people with because I know that if I implemented what I know, and also collaborated that with my clinical Pilates set up and rehab training, it would solve that missing link.
We’d be able to not only manage clients in the traditional physio sense, but we’d be able to give them the tools they needed to stay better by teaching them self management, buy maintaining what strength, and flexibility and functional gains we achieved through clinical rehab, and then giving them the means to continue with that at home.
AND IT WORKS.
Our word of mouth was our biggest referrer.
Clients know when they come to us that we’re in it for them.
If we can’t help you in 3 sessions, or change anything – we need to look elsewhere and change tact.
If you don’t understand what your issue is – you will never improve or go self managed because you don’t have the focus or means to do so.
You need to know that we have your back. We truly want you to improve, and if you don’t – we’ll send you for whatever investigations or opinions we think you’ll need.
Clients need to buy into what we offer, and yes we’re not the cheapest on the block, but we have the best physio’s and we have the best studio.
There are physio’s on every street corner nowadays, there are places offering Pilates and Clinical Pilates – but in order to get results you need to be managed with intent.
You need to be working with intent, targeted specific management – not just left to do things on your own in a room alone.
We have a fabulous team of physio who are all highly experienced and Pilates trained, and our team of instructors are all fully certified and know their stuff! We’re all supported by our great admin staff!
There is no one size fits all – no cookie cutter management plan – there is adapting and evolving to suit what you present with so you get what you need. Learn why our approach works: